Marty McFly from Back to the Future | DIY Costume Guide
Let’s Cosplay Marty McFly
Marty McFly is the main character of the classic and timeless movie series Back to the Future.
He’s one of the most well-known and iconic characters on the big-screen.
So let’s first talk a little bit about Marty, who is:
1) The world’s second time traveler.
2) The first to travel backwards in time.
3) A high school student at Hill Valley High School in 1985.
4) And best friends with Dr. Emmett Brown.
Now allow me to tell you how to cosplay the guy:
1) Red vest
2) Indigo denim jacket
3) Dress shirt
4) Maroon T-shirt
6) Basketball shoes
7) Light-up High-top sneakers
8) Marty McFly hat
9) Black suspenders
10) Maxwell HP-100 stereo headphones
11) Casio CA53W watch
13) Model DeLorean
14) Violet brief underwear
Right off the bat I’m sure that there’s many of you who can tell that there’s a lot of things that you don’t need.
So let’s just start with the obvious ones and then move on:
1) Underwear, DeLorean model, hoverboard, hat, suspenders, and headphones are all things that you really don’t need. DeLorean model doesn’t even look like it would make sense holding that thing around a convention. Hat, suspenders, and headphones are things that Marty oftentimes doesn’t have on his physical person. And the underwear is obviously not needed since it’s extremely unlikely that the vast majority of your admirers are going to notice...barring certain 'specific' circumstances of course.
2) Now the shoes are a little more complex actually. Really what it comes down to is that you will need to pick between one or the other.
3) The button-down shirt may also not be necessary seeing as how if you are going to be keeping the vest and/or jacket closed, then it’s hardly noticeable. If keeping the jacket open then you may want to consider otherwise. Although, one can also argue that a simple white t-shirt will do since it’s possible that many people may disregard that detail if you play the role well enough.
And there’s Marty McFly’s cosplay in a nutshell.
Just remember kids...don’t screw up the past!